Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Where Everybody Knew My Name


In the Muskegon area there are very few places where a woman can sit down and get to work and feel comfortable on Saturday night. For me, Saturday is the best time to separate from my kids and do intellectual work.  Barnes and Noble became my nurturing home away from home every Saturday after mass.
They say start with what you know, and I know Barnes and Noble. I've eaten almost everything on the cafe menu (Personal faves--Turkey Chipotle Panini, Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake, and Double Chocolate Cupcake, excellent for ending writer's block). I never walk by the sales table and bargain shelves--homeschoolers use all those quirky books. It's also a great place to take kids for one on one time or for special rewards.
The Ann Arbor B&N is much larger than the Muskegon store. Every department offers more and better. There are two escalators that will be thrill rides for some of my kids and a reason to read more challenging books for others, win/win for me. This store also has new to me departments like the music and film area. 
Everything is familiar but better. I think there will be times when it will be comforting to come back here where everybody knew my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment